Gordon Atkinson & Associates Pty Ltd was formed in 1995 to provide mine engineering and environmental planning services to the mineral resources sector.
The principal Gordon Atkinson is a qualified mining engineer / project manager with over 30 years experience in resource development, planning, mine operations, and environmental management associated with quarries, industrial minerals, coal and iron-ore. Limestone mining for lime and cement manufacture is a particular area of expertise both in Australia and the Pacific Region including Papua New Guinea and Indonesia.
Gordon Atkinson was previously employed by the former David Mitchell Limited (DML) group of companies and over a ten year period was a Divisional Manager/Mine Manager involved in the day to day management of limestone mining and lime manufacturing operations in Victoria, Papua New Guinea and North Queensland. Prior to establishing his consultancy firm in 1995, Gordon was Mine Engineering and Environmental Planning Manager for DML based in Tamworth, NSW with responsibilities for the development and operation of limestone mines and processing plants in NSW, QLD and WA.
Mine engineering, feasibility, planning and development services have since been provided to a wide range of public, private and government organizations including Boral Cement Limited, Exmouth Limestone Pty Ltd a subsidiary of Cockburn Cement Limited, Sibelco Australia Limited (formerly Unimin Australia Limited) who acquired David Mitchell Limited in 2002, Donaldson Coal, Werris Creek Coal Pty Ltd and in 2006 AusAid and the Nauru Rehabilitation Corporation that is responsible for land rehabilitation, secondary phosphate mining and the processing of limestone products for the Government of Nauru.
Gemcom SURPAC software
Gordon Atkinson & Associates Pty Ltd is a licenced user of Gemcom SURPAC geology and mine planning software specifically designed for the mineral resources industry.
When mining companies seek to increase mine productivity, they turn to Gemcom for technology and services. The Company is home to world-renowned mining solutions like GEMS, Surpac, Minex, Whittle, and InSite, and to industry thought leaders who are pushing the boundaries of what’s possible in mining.
Global Mapper is an affordable and easy-to-use GIS Data processing application that offers access to an unparalleled variety of spatial datasets and provides just the right level of GIS functionality to satisfy both experienced GIS professionals and mapping novices. Equally well suited as a standalone spatial data management tool and as an integral component of an enterprise-wide GIS, Global Mapper is a must-have
for anyone who deals with maps or spatial data.
- B. App. Sc. in Mineral Engineering (1977), South Australian Institute of Technology
- M Sc. in Mineral Production Management (1984), Imperial College, University of London
- Member of the Aus.IMM since 1975 and Fellow of the Institute of Quarrying, 1985
- Member of the Environment Institute of Australia & New Zealand, 1996
- Quarry Managers Certificate of Competency for Victoria (1985)
- Mine Managers Certificate of Competency (Surface) for PNG (1986)
- Registered as an Above Ground Mine Manager for NSW (1995) Registration No. 12
- Registered as a Quarry Manager in WA in accordance with Section 24 of the
- Mutual Recognition (WA) Act 2001 (2004)
- Associate Auditor – Environmental since 1997 certified with RABQSA Int. Cert. No. 14960